Make an application for a driving licence
About trying to get a driving licence
You will need a driving licence to push legally on South African roads. Before you apply for a driving licence, you’ll want a learners licence.
Different licences are issued when it comes to various types of motor vehicle:
- This will be for a motor bike with or without a sidecar in accordance with an engine not exceeding 125 cc. You should be at the least 17 years old on the date associated with the test.
- This is certainly for a motor cycle with or without a sidecar and with an engine that exceeds 125 cc. You truly must be 18 years or older to put on.
- This can be for an automobile, including a minibus, bus and goods vehicle, with a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 3 500kg. You really must be 18 years or older to put on.
- This really is for a motor vehicle, a bus, minibus or goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass between 3 500 kg and 16 000 kg. You truly must be 18 years or older to put on.
- This really is for a motor vehicle, a bus or a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 16 000kg.
Code EB: it is for a:
- light motor vehicle that is articulated (light motor vehicle drawing a trailer) with a gross combination mass not exceeding 3 500 kg. You must be 18 years or older to make use of
- mixture of a motor vehicle with a tare not exceeding 3 500 kg and a minibus, bus or goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 3 500 kg. You truly must be 18 years or older to utilize.
Code EC1: This Is Certainly for:
- an articulated heavy motor vehicle (heavy motor vehicle drawing a trailer[s]) with a gross combination mass between 3 500 kg and 16 000 kg. You need to be 18 years or older to apply.
- a mixture of an auto with a tare between 3 500 kg and 16 500 kg and a minibus, midibus, bus or goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass between 3 500 kg and 16 000 kg. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
- That is for an articulated heavy motor vehicle (heavy motor vehicle drawing a trailer[s]) with a gross combination mass exceeding 16 000 kg or a combination of a bus or goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 16 000 kg. You must be 18 years or older to use.
What you should do
- Go to the nearest driving licence testing centre (DLTC) to book a test date. Take the following to you:
- your learner’s licence.
- your identity document (ID).
- four identical black-and-white photographs. You must first confirm with all the DLTC exactly how many photos they require before you have photos taken.
- Evidence of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is certainly not in your name, the of owner associated with bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live during the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- if you stay at a friendly settlement, you have to bring a letter with the official date stamp through the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address
- a booking fee.
- Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
- Complete the applying for driving licence form (DL1) during the DLTC.
- Maintain the receipt as evidence of payment so when confirmation for the test time and date.
- On the date of the test, you should be during the DLTC at the specified testing time. Your receipt and learner’s licence will be verified before you check out the test.
- You are assessed by an experienced examiner.
- If you pass the test, your fingerprints is going to be taken and you may undergo an eye test at the DLTC. Alternatively, you have a watch test performed at a qualified optometrist and submit the proper execution at the DLTC.
- If you pass the driving test, you need to pay the issuing fee to receive a short-term driving licence, that you will use although you watch for the ordered driving licence card.
- You’ll be notified whenever your driving licence card is ready for collection. You must collect your driving licence at the DLTC for which you made the application.
Just how long does it take
- Your driving licence should be ready within four to six weeks.
- A temporary driving licence is issued immediately.
How much does it cost
- Contact your local licensing office to find out the price.
Forms to complete
- The application form for driving licence form (DL1) can be obtained at any driving licence testing centre
Who to contact
- City of Johannesburg
- City of Tshwane
- City of Cape Town
- Nelson Mandela Bay
- Eastern Cape municipalities
- Free State municipalities
- Gauteng municipalities
- KwaZulu-Natal municipalities
- Limpopo municipalities
- Mpumalanga municipalities
- North West municipalities
- Northern Cape municipalities
- Western Cape municipalities
Be sure that you read our full article about Driving Schools in Pretoria Central!